Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Island Time


Sunset on Captiva

Island time, a slower pace...

We headed out for Captiva Island on Sunday around 1:00. (I know I said the other day that we were going to Sanibel, but that wasn't correct.) Me, Mike, and Eric loaded the Sling Shot (that's Mike's boat) with supplies where it was docked at Palm Island Marina, then cruised out to pick up Sarah from where she works on Boca Grande (on Gasparilla Island). We headed south for Captiva.

The sea was a little choppy on the way down. I think he said waves were about 3 feet. They could have been 10 feet for all I knew because I immediately started getting seasick. I wasn't sure whether I would or not, since I've not been out on a small boat in the ocean. I should have taken Dramamine. We've been out on Mike's boat before, but not for long periods of time. I kept hoping it would go away, but it didn't. Luckily Mike keeps a supply of Dramamine on his boat so he gave me one. My stomach didn't settle down until we reached the inlet near the end of Captiva Island (almost 2 hours later).

We docked the SS at the Tween Waters Marina without much problem and found our rented slip which would be home for the next 2 days. We opted to stay on the boat at night instead of getting a room at the resort; with the slip rental we were able to use all of the amenites at the resort ~~ swimming pool, hot tub, fitness center, and showers. There are a couple of restaurants and shops at the resort, so we really didn't even have to leave the resort. Since we didn't have transportation other than the boat, that made it convenient.

Capitva Island is a very narrow piece of land on the northern end of an island with Sanibel at the southern end. The Tween Waters Inn enjoys the marina on the bayside and the ocean on the front side. So we had the best of both worlds.

Even though we really didn't have to leave the resort for anything, we still wanted to explore. So we went on several very long walks, first down the road to find the "town" and more restaurants and shops, then back to the resort along the beach. We were told it was about a 1/2 mile walk along the beach...and what a pleasant walk it was. We ate lunch one day at RC Otters and tried out the gator tail appetizer. YES, I did try them and they weren't bad. Can't really explain the taste. It was okay, but the texture was a little weird.

Sunset on Capitva Island was spectacular....but, then again, I haven't seen too many sunsets I didn't think were spectacular.

On the way back Tuesday, we took our time and enjoyed the sunshine. The sea was a lot calmer (and I took a Dramamine before we shoved off), so I enjoyed the trip back a whole lot more than the trip down!!

Even though we've been off the boat for about 12 hours now, I still don't have my land legs back. Everything is still rockin' and rollin'. ;)

AHHH...another beautiful day in Southwest Florida!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home